Google

Saturday 30 August 2008

Helicopteros Sanitarios to the Rescue

Tália seems to have caught a chill and yesterday I was really very concerned about her. We went to my sister-in-law's for tea and whilst there I could hear Talia's chest rattling in my hands. I was pretty terrified - I know that by now after all the positive surroundings and literature I should be as calm as a cucumber but I still have a way to go. I was a little panicked as I really wasn't sure what to do. Weighing only 4.9kilos, I can't just take baby cough mixture out of the cupboard and give her a spoon, I need to be careful. Also would it be an exaggeration to take her to hospital - should she be getting extra oxygen? And what about the lactic acidosis and all that, I would need to explain to whoever was on duty and hope that they would know what to do. As you can see, my mind was not still. Anyway I decided when like that,you should do nothing but wait for some kind of sign ( a trick that I learned from of Monkeys and Dragons). So slowly I set off home on my own with Tália and left the other two girls with my sister-in-law.

The drive home was awful as Táli was crying and started to cough and choke. I felt useless, unable to do anything as I had to focus on the road. When I got home I decided to call Helicopteros Sanitarios as my mind cleared and I realized that driving to the hospital would probably traumatize Tália more. At least I could put Táli in bed and the Helicopteros could check her in her own surroundings - that way I would be able to ensure that she didn't have an infection or need oxygen.

Helicopteros saw Tália and said that she just had a pretty bad cold and lots of mucous in her throat but thankfully not in her chest. They told me to call them back if her breathing changed. Once they left, I sprinkled some holy water on her and listened to a tape on meditation. When my husband finally arrived back with the girls, Tália was kicking away and full of beans - thank God.

No comments:

Tália Appears on Eye on Spain