Google

Tuesday 17 June 2008

We can do it!

Today became a stay at home day - a rare thing for me. My eldest daughter had a high fever overnight and I decided to keep her off school today so hence ended up having to cancel my physio appointment in Aprona. I have a pretty bad cold today so to be completely honest, a day in with hot cups of tea sounded cosy and relaxing. Sometimes the simplest things in life can bring so much comfort and pleasure! Thankfully my daughter's fever seemed to dwindle away and she was all sparks again by midday! After watching part of Harry Potter, my husband whisked her away to see her aunt and uncle and their new baby once we had decided that she probably had suffered a mild form of sunstroke.

I sneaked a short cat nap with Talia and then spent the rest of the day playing and doing physio with her. I put her in her 'plano' ( orthopedic walker ) but she wasn't too straight so I took her out again.

A 'plano' is quite a weird contraption that is made for kids to be held upright without having to put all the weight on their feet. It gives them the sensation of walking and helps to build up their hips and leg muscles. I am still waiting for Talia's own plano so in the interim I am using one that a physio lent to me. Getting a prescription for the contraption is another story in itself - too late and too tired to explain the process now (maybe tomorrow..)but if anyone out there in this area needs to get one, you can contact me and I'm happy to tell you about the procedure ( or as much as I know as I haven't yet received the final product!)

Anyway I tried to get Talia in a sitting position around her new drum and was ecstatic to see that she held the seated position for at least a minute - this is a huge step forward and two weeks before her first birthday. I also took out some small mettalic cars that we got from imaginarium- they are cute little cars in a metal box (actually for age 3up) but Talia uses them at Aprona. It helps her to practice lifting and helps her finer motor skills. However usually the metallic texture makes her pull back as she has hypersensibility in her hands. Determined to get her over this fear, I bought the cars on Wednesday and have constantly been showing them to her.

Today she actually touched and tried to move them - another breakthrough.

We had a great day, we played lots and I read her lots of stories - it was so nice just to be!!! We achieved lots in a chilled way. Oh and I forgot to mention that she loves her new drum (early birthday present) from imaginarium. When we first gave it to her, she looked at it blankly and now she's drumming away like a pro. The physio told me that this was good for her muscle tone in her arms and hands.

My home is looking like a stimulation room - big red ball in the living room, alongside a plano, bumbo seat etc!!!!

No comments:

Tália Appears on Eye on Spain