Google

Friday 8 February 2008

Blood Tests - The search for an answer begins

On the 30th October I took Talia into Hospiten - I had to leave her without food for 6 hours so that they could get valid blood samples. Nothing really prepared me for what the poor girl was going to go through. Stupidly perhaps, I did not see this as a big deal and foolishly expected it to be just a quick pin prick and that I´d be home within the hour. How wrong was I!! My mum came with me for moral support -I told my husband not to worry about coming as I did not think it was a big deal. After a bit of a wait, we were ushered to the vaccination room in Hospiten. My paediatrician said that he would be taking the blood, not the nurses as she was so tine. I really appreciated his warm nature. He was and still is very fond of Talia as she is always smiling and laughing and a very sociable baby.

The nurses asked me to sit outside while they poked her - I refused, I wanted to be with my baby and luckily my paediatrician had no problem with it so my mum and I stood on the sidelines watching.

First they tried to find a good spot from which to extract blood. they settled on one hand. After numerous attempts they finally found a needle small enough to fit in her veins. I hadn´t anticipated this being a problem beforehand. Then they couldn't get enough blood - we had a number of tests to run - so there were about 5 tubes to fill. They moved to her other hand and I just prayed so hard and visualized all the blood coming out easily. My mum and I looked at each other - our hearts breaking to see our little Talia crying her eyes out. However both of us stood tall - we were determined to be strong and to be supportive for the doctors. After about half an hour it was over and we went to the cafe were I fed a trembling Talia. She kept shaking all day and I had to hold her very close to me all day long.

My paediatrician came up to us and gave Talia a big loving cuddle. It was nice to see this gesture - it is lovely to see vocational experts. Now I just had to wait for the results.

No comments:

Tália Appears on Eye on Spain