Google

Sunday 10 February 2008

High TSH and Hypothyroidism

The first thing I did was to set up an appointment for a follow up blood test. I then got cracking and googled Hypothyroidism and TSH levels. I found out that Talia´s TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) count was elevated but not exceptionally high. Her T3 and T4 levels were normal. Hypothyroidism is usually charactarised by a rising TSH and low T4. The fact that her T4 was normal put us in a gray area. However I did read that this could be an early indication of future hypothyroidism. I was relieved to see that there was a cure for this condition even though it would mean medication for the rest of her life but compared to the numerous syndromes and illnesses I had looked into - cystic fibrosis, cerebral palsy, it seemed like a nice answer to our concerns. The only think that I got was itchy feet to get going as when untreated Hypothyroidism will affect mental development and cause retardation.

Many of the symptoms seemed to match - physical exhaustion and lethargy, cold hands and feet, poor muscle tone - the only thing that did not square up was that the stereo-type hypothyroid baby is quite chubby and Talia was anything but that. However I knew adults who were skinny and suffered from hypothyroidism.

We did re-test and indeed Talia´s TSH came out even higher - according our lab, the norm was 3.9 and her TSH had gone from 5 to 8.3. My paediatrician immediately referred me to an endocrinologist at the Costa del Sol. I would now be seen under the state system by the head of endocrinology there.

1 comment:

Russell Moris said...

Natural supplements thyroid does work and fairly well too. It hasn't solve all my problems but it made a marked difference in how I felt. It is not a waste of your time or money.

Tália Appears on Eye on Spain